excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Good news about Event
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:35:19 GMT
I am at a point now where the Event package (including the command
subpackage) is completely tested and debugged.  I have really changed
the way the ThreadManager works, and hopefully made it very extensible
and usable.  There is one more ThreadPolicy to eventually re-introduce,
but I don't want to get embroiled with that one yet.  Essentially it is
the policy of one thread pool per pipeline so that it can adaptively
manage threads to do the work necessary.  That version would typically
use more threads, but be able to adaptively handle extreme load
conditions better than the other two options available at this time.

The CommandManager is still untested, which I will eventually get to,
but we are at a fairly good breaking point if I am going to do the
import into Excalibur.

This leads to the next questions about the best process to make this
jump.  It is different enough from the current Event package to warrant
a version jump to 2.0, and as always, the documentation (while not
completely nonexistant) is lacking.

The new ThreadManager and ThreadPolicy separation really makes the code
easier to understand than the previous code IMO.  If you want to take a
sneak peek at what I have (before package name changes and commenting
improvements), then you would use the following information:

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=74649

The "module name" referred to by that link is "event" (just like it is
in Excalibur).

Don't expect the maven/build stuff to work.  I have been focusing on
doing the development through IDEA before I got the build system to
work.  It also gives us the ability to incorporate the Maven/JPS Ant
stuff into the project.

                 - Rich Cook