excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: The Excalibur Event Package
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:42:51 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The big question now is do we want to re-adopt the work that I have
>> done on the Event package into Excalibur proper as an Event 2.0 work?
>

> +1.
>
>  > Java 1.4 for command package
>
> +1. I suggest you split it out as a seperate artifact.
>
>> What would everyone's take be on this?
>

> We can't maintain excalibur-event here very well without you. Even if we
> do, we can't compete very well with the d-haven package. Bring it on!

Please note that it is different enough to not be backwards compatible.
This can pose some problems.  However the changes are as minimal as I
could make them:

Queue->Pipe (this will affect anyone expecting a Queue)
FixedSizeQueue->deleted (same effect can be done with a default Pipe)
MultiCastSink->fixed (it actually works as advertised)
LossyMultiCastSink->deleted (it never worked properly)

The core interfaces have not changed as much as possible, so besides a
few renamings, there should not be any major problems upgrading.
However, the code to set up an ThreadManager is currently changing.
I may recommend waiting until I finish what I am trying to do before
bringing it back to Excalibur land.  The CommandManager will likely
also be fit with a hearty refactoring, but that can wait until after
a move back.

                 - Rich Cook