excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: More on SVN/CVS/gump/building excalibur
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:03:02 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> I dont know how it was used in the past but I can easily say that there
> is very little I can really complain about - at least since rc1. Even
> for complex builds it is relatively easy to set up.

over @ avalon and also in some other big projects there's just been a
lot of pain ever since adopting it. I remember needing a GB and a half
of internal memory to generate the geronimo apidocs, for example.
Another thing from memory that's really difficult is getting the
classpath for things like the excalibur-xmlutil unit tests right. Site
generation is another thing that's been continuously difficult because
subtle things changed every now and then. Oh, the wonderful days of
plain ol' anakia just doing its job...

It is not that all these things cannot be tracked and worked around. It
is that the workarounds keep changing.

I want a no-brainer rock solid, stable and debuggable build system.
Maven is just not quite there yet.

If you want to read criticism of maven, I suggest peeking around a
weblog or two (Brett Porter sollicited a lot of feedback the other day,
for example). I really don't want to see a lot of maven-bashing over
here. The maven crew deserves better than that.

My plan is to have two systems set up side by side, and have both
producing good results using a single command. Let a little darwinism
decide which one makes it.

> There are painful things about it (project inheritance and overifing
> some plugins behaviours) and we don't use gump

says who? We're not built by gump right now, but that's not going to
last more than a week or two :D

Regardless, gump is not the issue as gump is real close to being able to
build any maven project.

cheers!

- LSD