excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject [proposal] procedures and policies
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:47:22 GMT
Hi gang!

We do need /some/ procedures and policies I'm afraid. For example, the
PMC must endorse (by voting) all project releases. Coding standards are
another one of those.

I don't feel very much like re-inventing the wheel or spending much time
on all of this. I propose that we incorporate the procedures followed by
avalon, by reference, in particular, that's

   http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/pmc-votes.html
   http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/code-standards.html
   http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonDistributionLayout
   http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonReleaseManagerHowto

to the maximum extent possible (ie the actual distribution layout is of
course different). We can change things as they itch. Where bits of
procedure and policy are not specified by avalon docs, refer to the
process as written down on the jakarta site:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

those of you who've been active on the avalon pmc should have no
problems applying all of this. Those of you who are new to the role, you
really don't need to go and read all of that right now. Just go with the
flow and ask questions. The basic summary is as follows:

  * don't smack each other on the head (or not too hard), behave like a
    responsible adult, use common sense, etc
  * +1/+/-0/-1 mean what you expect of 'em
  * releases are a big deal and need to be voted on
  * ASF is strict about licensing/IP/etc stuff and there's rules to
    follow and people to speak to (like the apache incubator)
  * a -1 is a veto unless specified otherwise or the vote is among the
    PMC (the PMC doesn't have vetoes)
  * vetoes suck and arise from a failure to communicate
  * by ASF bylaws, the PMC chair (currently that's me) is always right,
    if he/she wants to be, and can overrule or simply ignore any decision
    made by the committers or pmc
  * basically more common sense stuff

I also recommend people who go and read the above docs to also take a
look at the codehaus manifesto, which is brief and blunt:

   http://www.codehaus.org/Manifesto

not that it applies here (this is not the codehaus after all), but it
does provide some contrast with the "ASF process" as hammered down in
all the policy documentation.

Finally, everyone who's an asf committer, esp. pmc members, needs to be
familiar with the ASF bylaws:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

this is a binding legal document (unlike all the other stuff referenced
above). We shall adhere to it.

comments?

cheers,

- Leo