excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [vote] build system
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:59:32 GMT
On Sunday 20 June 2004 21:28, Peter Donald wrote:
> I have a hard time believing that "maven" is that much slower than ant.

Then I feel sorry for you buddy. :'(

These are real figures from a real project, albeit it might be possible that
some of these are down to my somewhat 'mediocre' computer system (1.4GHz +
512MB RAM + Linux/KDE).

It is not a matter of comparing oranges and apples. The Ant build does as much
as (if not more) the Maven build. The only things I have extracted in more
details are;

Maven Site generation, for instance, is in the 20+ minute range in Maven and
~60sec with XSLT, AND my XSL contains navigation/menu aggregation which is
not in place in the Maven equivalent.
Maven (on my system) takes ~ 1minute to figure out in which order things
should be built. Stephen's equivalent does that in a sub-second.

> I suspect you are trying to compare cheese and chalk and that the ant
> tasks are doing significantly different things ala aggregating source
> and mergin several steps.

The compile and jar steps are done in exactly the same order, i.e. each
subproject is compiled and jarred independently.

> It would be a relatively simple job to recode
> this set of ant targets as maven goals (basically adding a few namespace
> elements) to get comparable speeds with maven.

Sorry, Maven does things (who knows what) that just consumes time. I would
suspect the "XML + Jelly + load all plugins + wait(60000)" combo adds up.

> Just FYI I think I was both an ant and gump committer for a couple of
> years at least and while technically I was also a maven committer I was
> mainly a maven user.

Good to hear Maven works for you... I'll wait until Maven2 been out for a year
or two...

Cheers
Niclas
--