excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [vote] build system
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:14:51 GMT
On Sunday 20 June 2004 10:47, Leif Mortenson wrote:

> -I have found it to be slower than Ant when I just want to try and
> compile my jars as I am doing development.

For the record, the new build system in Avalon (now Maven functionality, but
using Ant's advanced features), is a full magnitude faster on my system.

A complete build;
* Compilation of all sources.
* Building of all meta stuff.
* Generation of Jars
* Installation of Jars into the local repo.
* Running all unit tests.
* Generation of Javadocs for all sources.
* Generation of the Site.

takes on my system slightly less than 4 minutes. For Maven to do the same
thing, we are talking approx. 30-45 minutes (and unable to do it in a single
step).

I think that is reason enough to scrap Maven1.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /