excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Instrument Manager package.
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:19:55 GMT
On Thursday 17 June 2004 09:12, Leif Mortenson wrote:

Mauro already answered the 'build concern'. Quick note, I was very concerned
that avalon-excalibur didn't build in its entirety, and not from a single
point of build invocation. Hence the big effort in a package that I
personally have no investment in.
"xml-util" remained a problem. The JVM crashes on my machine, and the closest
I got to a conclusion was classloading (XML apis) in conjunction with
testcase (IIRC). It is probably still in a non-fully-buildable state.

> Also it looks like the pool and thread packages have been broken up into
> instrumented and uninstrumented copies of the components. Is this really
> necessary?

There were a lot of mess in Excalibur, prior to my and Stephen's fairly large
clean-up somewhere around March IIRC...

1. There was a few cyclic dependencies, and one rather 'long chain' involving
the instrumented packages.

2. instrument itself have (had?) a dependency on Alt-RMI, which sits in a
semi-limbo/beta/half-dead state in the incubator. It was concluded that such
dependency was not entirely healthy.

> I fear that the two will quickly diverge and become a maintenance
> nightmare.

I agree with the sentiment of this conclusion. However, without the proper
help to resolve the cyclic dependencies, as well as the 'un-healthy'
dependency on Alt-RMI, I did what I could...

> This is akin to creating
> a version of the classes which do not do logging... Thoughts?

I think better SoC principles can be applied and everything goes away.
1. The components and parts are instrumented.
2. The instrument package have a proper SPI/connection interface.
3. Alt-RMI connectivity is a SPI implmentation.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /