excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject [RT] Getting to the 'point' of excalibur
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:17:56 GMT
Hello all.

In light of hammett's email yesterday, I thought I'd play a little devil's
advocate in order to feel out everyone's intentions for Excalibur.  So why
don't I jump right into the heart of it with this question:

Are we here to maintain the Excalibur/Fortress codebase or do we also have
intentions on growing it?

I say that because since Excalibur and Fortress's inception there are a lot
of new players in the IoC framework field.  With strong development coming
from the likes of Pico, Nano, Spring, and many others, what role do we want
Excalibur to play?  What problems are we trying to solve either better or
for the first time?  Or are we only looking at preserving the existing
codebase and providing some enhancements to allow an "escape route" from
dependence on Avalon or ECM or Fortress?

Let's also put it this way.  Do we plan on attracting new users to ECM and
Fortress?  If a new user came along, would we tell them to jump right in, or
would we redirect them to Nano or some other framework?  If you were
starting on new application development right now, would you use our current
codebase?  Or at least at 6 or 8 months down the road, do you see yourself
using some new software release from Excalibur as opposed to one of the many
other similar frameworks?

We have a wonderful collection of developers here as Leo has pointed out.
But all of us are here because we already have a vested interest in the
codebase.  I'm wondering (hoping) that we'll generate the sort of energy
that those who do not yet have a vested interest in Excalibur or Fortress
will also find their way here.

Like I said, I'm trying to play devil's advocate here, but I am really
interested in what everyone's goals and intentions and hopes for Excalibur
are.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS