excalibur-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: [RT] so...many...components...
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:44:38 GMT

My concern is with 'elsewhere'.  Elsewhere where?

No 'jakarta-commons' for IoC components has popped up anywhere mostly
because of severe incompatibilities between component specifications.  Even
with IoC/SoC, most components are written with a specific container in mind
and thus generally find a home rather close to the container platform.

So my concern with having the components moved 'elsewhere' is that no such
place currently exists.  Creating such a place is (1) not easy and (2)
apparently not exactly within the scope of this project.  However I think a
first phase would be something of a "component registry" or link database
which could be hosted somewhere like ComponentPlanet.org.

> Oh, I usually make a distinction between "end user components" that you
> run inside a container and "building blocks" that you use to build a
> container. I'm talking about /both/ here.

Hmmm.  This can be a tricky distinction.  Moreover, I imagine whatever new
container architecture we design will be rather modular in nature (ie-
something like /LS's container aspects idea).  Should all of these
"container components" really end up out of our source repository?

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653