etch-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Fitzner <>
Subject AW: Compiling Etch: C Binding Runtime
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:19:18 GMT
Hi Thomas,
Currently we worked only with the 32 Bit version. At the moment I can't confirm if it works
also with a 64 Bit machine. I will try it out the next days and give you feedback.

Von: Thomas Marsh []
Gesendet: Montag, 15. August 2011 22:25
Betreff: Re: Compiling Etch: C Binding Runtime

Hello again,

I would like to provide one further piece of information. I have managed to link now, after
further modifications of the compilation scripts. On of the changes I made was to eliminate
the "-m32" compilation option in the C binding since this prevents linking with our 64-bit
libraries (and we prefer 64 bit). However, the unit tests do not all work. Two suites die
with segmentation faults, and the majority terminate with the following assertion error:

etch-c-test: /home/tmarsh/work/svn/etch/trunk/binding-c/runtime/c/src/main/bindings/msg/etch_id_name.c:73:
new_id_name: Assertion `result != -1' failed.

Please see the attached file with output from the failed test cases.

Why does the UNIX compilation default to 32 bit? Could my compilation in 64 bit mode be related
to the failed unit tests? What is the current status/maturity of the C binding?

Thanks, and all the best,

On 15 August 2011 14:28, Thomas Marsh <<>>

I am working with Scott Comer at Spawn Labs who suggested I write to this list. I am currently
trying to compile the C bindings for Etch and experiencing some difficulties.

The compilation platform is Linux, and I am using the latest SVN (revision 1157946). The compilation
succeeds until reaching the binding-c directory. It appears unable to generate the makefiles,
and ends with this error:.

Buildfile: /home/tmarsh/work/svn/etch/trunk/binding-c/runtime/build.xml
  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource cloverlib.xml. It could not be found.
  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource org/apache/ant/dotnet/antlib.xml. It
could not be found.

     [echo] =====================================
     [echo] Build     : etch-c-runtime
     [echo] Build-Type: stable
     [echo] =====================================

    [cmake] Building cmake output
    [cmake] gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

/home/tmarsh/work/svn/etch/trunk/binding-c/runtime/build.xml:62: /usr/bin/gmake returned error
code 2

Total time: 1 second

I am not entirely familiar with Ant and CMake, but it is clear that no Makefile is generated.
Investigating the CMakeLists.txt shows hard-coded locations for apr, apr-iconv, etc., with
some errors so I believe this file may be out of date.

It is possible to fix the CMakeLists.txt by hand and run cmake/make to get compilation to
a certain point (object files, but I have not successfully linked the test executables yet).
Before I proceed further with debugging the compilation scripts, I would like to ensure I
am not making any obvious errors. Am I missing something?

Thanks, and best regards,