etch-dev mailing list archives

From James Dixson <>
Subject Re: Future of Etch
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 05:31:14 GMT
If Apache does not like the rate of progress, then that is Apache's
prerogative. I do not like it, I do not want it to happen,  but I
personally have no energy or interest in jumping through any other hoops
to try and prevent it.

I find it unfortunate that if the project is forcibly retired that it
will require any other contributions to the project to be made somewhere

Looking back over the last 2yrs I have found this whole incubation
experience to be a bit too *fussy*. Everything from the long drawn-out
discomfort about the "Etch" name to the continual pressure to wrangle
new committers, to this latest (and just a little bit patronizing) label
of "retirement". It is disappointing because such a label *is*
stigmatizing to the technology in a way that is completely not the
technology's "fault".

I do not blame any of the mentors, past or present. I blame ourselves
for thinking that Apache adoption of Etch would be a good thing for both
Etch and Apache. Instead the experience has been more like moving into a
gated community with an over-aggressive home-owners association who
wants us evicted because we are not mowing our grass twice a week.

I am sure you have heard this kind of criticism before (I certainly have
read things like this in the incubator forum). I feel I understand a lot
better what Apache affiliation is and will certainly think twice before
considering this again in the future. "Success" as Apache
defines it just seems more correlated with the extroverted tendencies of
the committers rather than the merits of technology.

Finally, despite it all of my belly-aching I do appreciate all of the
time and energy the mentors have provided. If I have offended, I do not
intend to, I only intend to express my frustration and disappointment
with the process.

The situation is what it is.

* Niclas Hedhman <> [2010-09-02 09:04:01 +0800]:

> Guys,
> we think that the non-activity of Etch is really "permanent" and will
> propose to the Incubator to make the project "Retired".
> As it is Reporting Month for Etch in September, I am suggesting that
> we send this message instead of fabricating a "weak" report.
> If you have any serious objections, now is the time to speak.
> As for the codebase; Anyone is free to take it and do what ever they
> want, within the limits of the Apache license, the SVN history will
> remain, but made read-only. If I new community is to emerge, they can
> request Etch to come out of retirement (not common).
> This is in no way reflecting negative on the individuals involved in
> Etch, as we are well aware of the challenges to bootstrap communities.
> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
> - New Energy for Java