etch-dev mailing list archives

From "Youngjin Park (youngjpa)" <>
Subject RE: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:30:28 GMT
Hi James,

I also like to get some assistance after I look into the current codes.
I have a plan to spend time for C-binding.

Hi Michael and Holder,

It is good news. I hope that we can split some of works together for
C-binding. If you can check in yours soon, I can also start developing
on the top of the check-in.

-----Original Message-----
From: James deCocq []
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:49 PM
Subject: RE: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)

Hello Michael and Holder,
As the author of the original C code, I could perhaps be of some
assistance. In particular, there were a few significant challenges to be
resolved, perhaps you identified these and did so.
James deCocq

> CC:
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:45:28 +0100
> Subject: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
> Hi everybody,
> we evaluated the Etch SDK several months ago and we think that it is a
quite good RPC mechanism for our specific needs. Since we need a fully
functional C binding, we checked out the source. We could not yet
participate in the community in the last months, but for us this was no
reason not to look into the source code. So we started implementing the
C binding.
> At the moment we have implemented a functional C Compiler for the Etch
IDL and worked a lot on bugfixing and finalising the C Runtime Code for
Etch. RPC calls with nearly all of the Etch features (both in client and
server direction) are working with fully generated code from the
Compiler. Some stuff (like e.g. @Authorize) is not yet done, but all
core features work.
> Current state is early beta in our opinion, our Compiler-generated C
code works for our IDL test suite and the existing Etch runtime test
suite is running, too.
> We did a refactoring of the existing C runtime source code of Etch. We
did not change the basic architecture, but structurized and cleaned the
source and enhanced/re-implemented some features, like source for
startup and configuration, for logging, parts of the threading source,
for the test suites and some others.
> We also did some bugfixing, e.g. related to multi threading race
conditions and some others.
> We ported the source code to Unix based systems.
> Our intention is definitely to participate in the Etch community. We
want to get in contact and hope that this will be of good use for the
Etch community and that our efforts will find their way into the Etch
codebase. It is possible for us to submit our source code back to the
community, but the timeframe for this is not yet clear. A discussion
regarding this topic would be very welcome.