etch-dev mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <>
Subject Re: Etch C Binding Implementation (Compiler + Runtime)
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:09:13 GMT
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Holger Grandy
<> wrote:
> Most important for us is the question regarding next steps. How can we share
> our stuff with the community? Is there a special process / requirements to
> get involved into the Etch project? How can we make our source code
> available?

These are a couple of questions I hope to answer below:

Typically one provides patches for Etch software and provide them
through JIRA. If the code base is larger than just a couple of
patches, attach it as a ZIP file. If it is available in an open SCM
repository (sourceforge, googlecode, github, or somewhere else
publicly available) direct the developers here to the code and let
them comment on it.

When the current committers think it is a good code base and fit for
the project, they may choose to include it. This is provided that you
have the right to distribute the code, and license the code to the
Apache Software Foundation under the Apache Software License 2.0. For
small stuff like patches checking the "Grant license to ASF for
inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License ยง5)" radio button in
JIRA when you attach your contribution to a JIRA bug ticket

It helps if you provide an ICLA and possibly a CCLA. If the codebase
is larger, a Software Grant might be necessary.

Becoming a committer

Apache works as a meritocracy. If you contribute to the project (and
the contributions don't stop after a certain time) the project may
decide to ask you to join the community as a committer (and possibly a
full fledged project management committee member). Depending on your
understanding of the project and your contributions this happens
sooner or later.

Given that Etch is in the incubator, the barrier to entry is typically
lower than if Etch were a top level project. This is because we want
to grow the community to become diverse and large enough. For all
projects the barrier to entry is not too high, but you'll have to show

I can't tell if your contribution to be will earn you enough merit
within the Etch community, but rest assured, it will help considerably
into becoming a committer (instant karma [1] is not unheard of) :)

Further reading:

I hope this helps, if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

[1] karma is the amount of merit earned, instant karma is a term where
you gain enough merit to warrant committership in one go.

View raw message