etch-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Voting...
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:28:35 GMT
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Yonik Seeley <> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM, scott comer (sccomer)
> <> wrote:
>> so, how do you see that working. i have etch-31, i'm wanting to put that in
>> the release.
>> do i just say, i wanna put this in the release invite discussion and while
>> that's going on
>> i do it?
> On bigger projects we have CTR (commit then review), but in practice
> we treat it more as RTC with lazy consensus.

You mean the other way around... ;-)

> IMO, it has a lot to do
> with how confident you feel about what *others* would think of your
> patch.  Obvious bug fixes go in immediately, but for new features you
> may put up rough draft, prototypes etc and ask for feedback while you
> continue to develop.  If no feedback ever arrives, we often give
> notice that we'll commit soon or in a few days.  YMMV.

+1, especially the bit of "confidence". You should have a feel for
what may and may not be controversial. Things that has been sitting in
Jira for a while, without objections, *should* be considered
"accepted". Of course there are exceptions. There is always room for
people to object, and bring up a discussion. BUT we are also a
"do-ocracy", where those who do have a lot of influence, and
indirectly what direction the project takes. So, from experience, the
'lazy masses' typically have a lot of opinion in all kinds of
directions, and the handful that make it happen will make a decision
that makes the most sense, which in turn probably will not be too much
objected by the 'masses'. YMMV.

-- - New Energy for Java

View raw message