etch-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Post to Etch developer community
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:36:34 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Nithya Vijayakumar (nvijayak)
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Our requirement to use a JAVA POJO comes from Apache Tuscany. We did a
> elaborate study of the different web services applications available and
> found Apache Tuscany to be the most easy to use and extendable software
> for our cause. Tuscany is based on a Service Component Architecture. It
> supports java and a few other languages.

But you have not answered if you are aware that you introduce one
extra tier of network communications? Is that what you really are
after, or do you want to provide an additional binding to the
underlying service?

If you let Etch IDL generate you the server bindings, you will need to
provide an implementation, and IMHO, that is an easy integration
point, whereas you will have an additional to Etch transport and SOAP
transport for the same service. It all depends on your usecase.

Furthermore, I have not used Tuscany myself, but just from 3 minutes
worth of browsing the documentation, it is pretty clear that the
default constructor is not a hard requirement. For instance, Tuscany
allows Spring, Spring allows for bean factories, hence no need for
default constructor. Tuscany allows for OSGi services, which are not
instantiable at all and should be looked up in a service registry,
hence no need for default constructor. You need to look beyond the
HelloWorld and the simple type. Tuscany is
obviously a lot more capable than you initially gave me the impression

-- - New Energy for Java

View raw message