etch-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: Post to Etch developer community
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:39:52 GMT
Cake-on-Cake is an expression in Sweden, when you talk about
unnecessary layering.

To me, and I am by no means an expert but would like to take a shot at
this, the approach is wrong. IIUIC, you are introducing an extra SOAP
tier for no particular reason, other than having the service available
via SOAP, in which case you might as well do the decorators by
yourself or a dynamic proxy. OTOH, Etch IDL should be used as the
source to generate the SOAP interface straight at the service, and
possibly Etch could later introduce proxy services which could be
utilized for 'extra tier' requirements. Sticking SOAP on the Java
generated client sounds like an typical anti-pattern to me.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Nithya Vijayakumar (nvijayak)
<> wrote:
> Etch Developers,
> Our current posting is to request no-arg default constructor in all
> generated Etch java sources.
> We are using Apache Etch for our services. We have a requirement to
> expose Etch as a SOAP web service. We are using the open source Apache
> software Tuscany 1.3 and Axis 2 for this purpose.  While integrating we
> found that the java source code created by the Etch Compiler cannot be
> exposed as a SOAP service as it currently does not have a no-arg default
> constructor.  The requirement stems from Apache Axis 2 and its use of
> JAXB for data binding.
> Apache Axis 2 is our underlying SOAP provider. This dictates for a
> no-arg default constructor for even things like WSDL generation. Further
> when we would like to serialize objects to XML using libraries like
> Xstream/JAXB, which in turn try to construct objects before serializing
> them to XML using the default constructor. Even when services are
> exposed as SOAP via just Apache AXIS (stand alone), there is a need for
> a default constructor. We ran some examples that ship with Axis 2 and
> removed the no-arg constructors for complex objects and the service
> didn't deploy.
> We are adding some references to this topic. We hope the Etch developer
> community would be quick to respond to this issue.
> Thanks,
> Nithya
> Nithya Vijayakumar, Ph.D.
> Software Engineer, Cisco