etch-dev mailing list archives

From "Nithya Vijayakumar (nvijayak)" <>
Subject Post to Etch developer community
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2009 01:17:04 GMT
Etch Developers,
Our current posting is to request no-arg default constructor in all
generated Etch java sources.
We are using Apache Etch for our services. We have a requirement to
expose Etch as a SOAP web service. We are using the open source Apache
software Tuscany 1.3 and Axis 2 for this purpose.  While integrating we
found that the java source code created by the Etch Compiler cannot be
exposed as a SOAP service as it currently does not have a no-arg default
constructor.  The requirement stems from Apache Axis 2 and its use of
JAXB for data binding.
Apache Axis 2 is our underlying SOAP provider. This dictates for a
no-arg default constructor for even things like WSDL generation. Further
when we would like to serialize objects to XML using libraries like
Xstream/JAXB, which in turn try to construct objects before serializing
them to XML using the default constructor. Even when services are
exposed as SOAP via just Apache AXIS (stand alone), there is a need for
a default constructor. We ran some examples that ship with Axis 2 and
removed the no-arg constructors for complex objects and the service
didn't deploy.

We are adding some references to this topic. We hope the Etch developer
community would be quick to respond to this issue.

Nithya Vijayakumar, Ph.D.
Software Engineer, Cisco