esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is doing PubSubHubub worth it ?
Date Sat, 04 Sep 2010 08:10:31 GMT
It's a good question - perfectly reasonable. As Dick mentioned, I
don't think that list is complete, but it's true that not everybody
has implemented PuSH.

In my mind, Pubsubhubbub is a nice-to-have at this point. It's
definitely not one of the highest priority items. It's something that
I was interested in implementing as an experiment and it would
immediately deliver some additional nice functionality in the form of
instantly updating actions and less server time spent downloading RSS
feeds every X minutes.

Longer-term, there are more interesting implications if we get
PuSH-enabled, authenticated feeds of ESME user timelines (with ESME as
a publisher and hub). Once this happens, it is another good way to
integrate ESME with other systems on a user-by-user basis. Eventually
it might be a way to federate ESME instances, but there are a lot of
complications that are not easily resolved, including what is done
about pools in this scenario and how authentication works (PuSH
authentication is not a very well-resolved problem).

So, that's just my partially-formed thinking on the topic. It was
pretty much a science-project for me that didn't get very far. I
definitely think of it as a nice-to-have rather than a "must-have".

Ethan

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are some other companies not on the list but present in the
> comments (RabbitMQ and status.net) - there are also some interesting
> other possibilities (for example, linking it to xmpp (
> http://grack.com/blog/2009/09/09/pubsubhubbub-to-xmpp-gateway/) or
> this blog about pubsubhubbub and twitter
> (http://blog.persistent.info/2009/08/twitter-pubsubhubbub-bridge.html)
> Since we've already started the implementation, I'd really be
> interested in continuing it but I'm open for discussions on the topic
> as well.
>
> D.
>
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Imtiaz Ahmed H E <in.imtiaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please don't misconstrue me, I would have (and already started having) my usual ball
doing it!

>> But at http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/wiki/Companies
>> there are only a handful of companies who have advertised themselves as doing (supporting
a hub for their feeds) it.

>> Of course, Ethan probably knows better...
>>
>> What do you think ? Dick ?
>>
>> Maybe there's lots of other stuff that would really help Esme. But, pubsubhubub is
a really worthwhile api/concept in itself...