esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Twitter api Up-to-Date?
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 08:33:13 GMT
> I've tried the twitter api and I think some of the queries to retrieve
> messages are incorrect.  For example, the home_timeline returns just
> messages that I've composed rather than my messages plus messages from

Correction: your fix should have been friends_timeline rather than
user_timeline, as this is the closest we can get. From the Twitter API
(http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-statuses-home_timeline):

    This home_timeline is identical to statuses/friends_timeline
except it also contains retweets, which statuses/friends_timeline does
not (for backwards compatibility reasons).

> people I follow.  "Mentions" returns my messages + those from people I
> follow rather than messages that are replies to my user.  I'm looking
> at it and trying to find ways to correct it.

Hmm, we don't have "mentions", we have "replies"
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/scala/org/apache/esme/api/TwitterAPI.scala),
which is deprecated and removed in the TwitterAPI. What I think
happens is that in the DB every message in a conversation is marked as
a reply to the original one.

There is certainly some impedance mismatch between what ESME and
Twitter offer conceptually, some can be fixed, but some features can't
be mapped directly.

Vassil