esme-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:19:06 GMT
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there are different definitions of "release" that are confusing things.
>
> One is a release from the perspective of ASF which is concerned with
> the process (votes on the MLs, etc.) and certain legal requirements.
> I think Gianugo's last email expresses this focus on this consensus.
> What is released (alpha release, beta release, RC, etc.) is here not
> the focus....

Just to reiterate, according to http://apache.org/dev/release.html a
release is "anything that is published beyond the group that owns it",
so as soon as a release is made available for download on the ESME
website (as opposed to just being mentioned here) it is an Apache
release.

Even naming it "junk release not to be used" won't make a difference,
if it's published it has to be voted on.

Naming an SVN tag or internally distributed tarball "release" doesn't
make it a release either - it's the act of publishing it beyond the
ESME group of developers (this mailing list) that makes a release and
requires a vote.

-Bertrand