esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modal Dialogs: Getting there
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:20:27 GMT
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to do is use JQuery tool tips to display the help. I just
> finished converting the action page and just deleted the help.

That sounds just about perfect!

> Good luck.  Do you have suggestion of how to display a long url? Maybe with
> a mouse-over that displays the fulltext.

I think for starters we could drop the # of clicks and get away from a
table-based model to a list-based model in the html. That helps
compact things a bit and gives us more ability to use CSS for managing
text display. The next step is to force wrapping, which to the best of
my knowledge is not really possible in CSS2. Fortunately CSS3 has the
"word-wrap:break-word" style, which does exactly what we want.

I've attached a mock-up done using CSS3 using this approach. What do you think?

As a last resort, if we can't find a way to extend this to non-CSS3
browsers, we could probably do some fancy JS or something to insert
spaces into the text representation of the link, allowing it to wrap.

> What about creating dialogs but not modal dialogs.

I think modal dialogs and normal dialogs suffer from the same
disadvantages in this situation.

Ethan