esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modal Dialogs: Getting there
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:39:32 GMT
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep - still got to work on the css

Couldn't get it perfect on the first try? Unacceptable! ;-)

>> 2. Action creation (help will go directly into the modal dialog, I'd
>> imagine)
>>
> 2 dialogs help and creation

I actually currently find it pretty annoying that I have to flip back
and forth between the "help" and "create" tabs. The help will only
ever be used in the "create" context, so it probably makes sense to
have it in the same view and not force the user to toggle.

> The problem is that currently both features break the UI.  The links are too
> long and large messages look horrible.
>
> What about dialogs that aren't modal?

I just tend to think that dialogs are the wrong UI metaphor to use for
display of information. Modal dialogs are even worse because they
block other interaction, but the modal-ness isn't the main problem in
this case. We go from requiring zero interaction to see this
information to requiring at least 2 very precise clicks - one to
trigger the dialog and one to close it. Will anyone ever look at these
things if they have to pop up a dialog to do it? I doubt it. I think
we should either leave them where they are and fix the inline display
(which I agree is broken) or take them out until we can come up with a
better solution (which I think is roughly equivalent to putting them
into dialogs and which I think we should do).

Ethan