esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:57:51 GMT
I don't think there really was an RC vs. point-release discussion.
That's what we're having right now, in addition to the rest of the
process discussion ;-)

My view is that we should not, as a rule, call a full Apache release a
"Release Candidate". I know it's just semantics, but I think it's
going to confuse the heck out of people (as it did me).

If we think that a release is ready to be deployed into production
environments by our users, then I think we should give it a
point-release name and we should go through the Apache release process
with it.

If we are cutting a tag into a trial release in order to help
ourselves figure out if we are ready to make a release, then I think
we should call it a "release candidate" and we should not go through
the full Apache release process and we should not "release" it. We
should just put the RC tarball out on the public site for people to
evaluate, and maybe do a vote on this list to determine if we have
consensus that we are ready to attempt a full release.

Of course, my view has extremely limited weight since I'm not doing
any of the actual release work!

Ethan

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
<yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for clarifying.
>
> Maybe it was just me, but I wasn't aware that we were going to release the RCs for distribution,
hence my confusion about all the current voting rounds we are going through.
> I thought the RCs were just intended for the ESME community to do smoke/stress tests
before the actual release and that we would have a formal vote when we agreed that an RC is
technically fit for a release.
> But I have been a bit busy at work these days, so I guess I just missed the RC vs point-release
discussion on the list, my bad.

> - anne
>

> On 1. mars 2010, at 09.41, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Anne Kathrine Petter√łe
>> <yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ginaugo,
>>>
>>> Just to make sure I understand this correctly.
>>> When we create RCs from the tagged point release (like in this case RC1 from
the 1.0 tagged release), we need to go through the voting process each time?