esme-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: Release 1.0-RC2 in Jira
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:24:52 GMT
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
> How is publishing a tarball on a public site that is clearly labelled
> as a trial release and *not* for general consumption significantly
> different than making available a public SVN repository?

Maybe we're getting semantic cross-wires here, but an RC _is_ by
definition for general consumption. Much like alphas and betas, and
actually even more. To me it's something like:

- SVN and nightlies: designed for developers only, might not even compile
- alpha: hey community, care to give it a shot? chances are it will be
full of bugs, but we could use some help. Don't make it even get close
to production systems
- beta: hey public, we are almost ready and this is almost your final
chance to speak up. Give it a spin, please? And yes, bugs are expected
- don't use this in production unless you really know what you're
doing and we are a mile away (two if downwind)
- RCs: ok, unless we screwed something up really seriously, this is
close to golden master. If you are very brave and know your way, you
may actually use it in production, although it's not really a wise
thing to do. So speak up now, or forever hold your peace

In any case, the real difference is that SVN is a perpetually moving
target, with no agreement whatsoever from the community on what a
snapshot means. A release is just that: the developers agree that a
revision of the SVN tree is consistent enough to be packaged - so
there comes your need for explicit consensus.

Don't let the scars from this initial release process scare you too
much. Once the ball is rolling (with no major hiccups such as legal
crap), the release process _is_ lightweight enough and fits the
"release early, release often" bill.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846