esme-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Hague <darren.ha...@fortybeans.com>
Subject Re: New branch for UI
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:31:57 GMT
The public timeline can be useful in the early days of a microblogging
service, as I have recently discovered with the introduction of SAPTalk
at SAP. While there are only a few users of a service and the social
graph is very sparse, the public timeline is the easiest way to find &
follow new people.

Once the service is established, the public timeline is much less useful
- but it's still quite a good way for complete newbies to get a feel for
what's going on. Without the public timeline, new users have a chicken &
egg problem to deal with - they access the service, see very few (if
any) messages, and wonder what the big deal is with all this
microblogging nonsense and don't come back for 6 months.

Just my 2p,
Darren