esme-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:07:56 GMT
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Gianugo Rabellino
<g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>... In the future should this issue ever present itself to you,
>> I hope you will do the proper thing and point the errant person
>> at the relevant ASF policy
>
> That would be the same policy that says we _must_ remove copyright
> notices from source files, right? The same policy that is now being
> discarded in light of a compromise that makes very little sense and
> sets a dangerous precedent?...

I don't think we're discarding the policy.

David is prevented from making any more commits that contradict this
policy (as he left, but otherwise I would have asked for a vote to
revoke his commit rights as suggested on the legal-disccus list), and
we are treating the remaining copyright notices in the same way as
we'd do for a committer that is no longer available (for any reason)
to fix them themselves.

Clarifying that we'd revoke people's commit rights if they refuse to
abide by the policy that we're talking about
(http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html) has been a positive
outcome of this saga, IMHO.

-Bertrand