esme-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Engbrecht <erik.engbre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:40:43 GMT
I think the difference between "crystal clean" and "NASCAR approach" is a
matter of perspective, because, as you said, some people are interested in
being able to relicense their work, and, for that matter, the work of others
as well.  From David's perspective I believe "crystal clean" means a single
legal entity (and one that has trusts, at that) has the undisputed power to
relicense the code base.

There is no question that many of David's principles are the anathema of
ASF's principles.  That has been clear for a shockingly long time.  But my
understanding is that legally there is no dispute.  If the community is
going to put ASF principles aside in order to keep the code, then it should
just do it.  Weaving principles into the discussion just introduces
ambiguity, prevents closure, and ultimately hampers the a developing
community's growth.  This, I believe is what the leaders of the ESME
community just voted to do.

Or the community can bite the bullet, stand by ASF principles even though it
appears to be legally unnecessary, and yank David's code.

--
http://erikengbrecht.blogspot.com/