esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME as Micro App on EcoHub?
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:00:07 GMT

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Bechauf, Michael
<michael.bechauf@sap.com> wrote:
> Ethan,
>
> the issue of ESME/E2.0 integration with SAP/ERP that I raised was meant exactly for that
reason: Is there something worth investing for both SAP as well as the ESME team ? The answer,
as I see right now, is "no", so I agree with you that it is a fact of life that nobody will
bring forth any time, money or resources if there is neither a personal or business return-of-investment.

Ethan: Maybe I've lost the history of this discussion, or perhaps
there is another parallel discussion going on, but what is the driver
behind all of this discussion about how best to integrate with SAP
ERP? If SAP wants it, then SAP should work on it. SAP doesn't need our
permission. If ESME wants it (I haven't seen this desire expressed on
this list for ages), then we should figure out how to work on it (and
sorry, but I see evaluating SAP's IP restrictions and partner
agreements as part of this discussion). If a mutual customer or SAP
partner wants it, then they should be talking to us.

> Regarding statements that I perceive as provocative: Well, to say that "the SAP partner
program kills innovation" is provocative in my book. We've already done a lot in a year, such
as like totally relaxing our policies regarding contributing to open source as well as providing
the SAP developer license and Code Exchange which are all meant for individual developers.
I know there is so much more work that needs to be done, but rather than just saying how bad
things are, please help us figure out appropriate ways to present a business case for individual
developers based on areas of innovation that individuals can pursue, and that makes sense
for EcoHub, which is mostly a tool for SAP customers to discover value-add products and services
that works with their ERP system.

Ethan: I think we appreciate what you and your group have
accomplished. But as I'm sure you're well aware, one year of good work
doesn't not erase a couple of decades of history. I know SAP changes
slowly and I can see that it's changing, but that doesn't make the
current state of it's programs any different. In my view, one of the
reasons SAP is changing is because of the pointed statements by
mentors and other community members. It annoys me to see you imply
that these statements are somehow inappropriate.

> As I said, I'm happy to continue this discussion in a place such as the SAP Mentor Forum
that is more approrpiate than the ESME dev list. I don't think we should be discussing legal
agreements and fee structure for SAP programs here.

I would be happy to participate ... if I had access to that forum! :-)

Ethan