esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 12sprints integration works
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:00:31 GMT
I'm wondering how far we can push actions to do something they are not
well suited for. Returning the response is fine but then usually it
has to be processed in one way or another. The question is: is this
something, which would only work in the 12sprints integration
scenario, or would it also be useful for other scenarios?

In general, when using an HTTP POST, we're not interested in the
response. I think this action was conceived only as a way to resend
messages to other services, including microblogging ones, like
Twitter. I'm not sure folks would be interested in the "200 OK"
response always being returned and posted to their timeline. Besides,
if this introduces subtle to catch bugs, like infinite loops, we'd
better think twice about including such power features.

In general, if we're interested in the response, then usually there is
complex logic associated with it- conditionals, probably XML/String
processing, and that's something not directly related to posting a
message.

Integration scenarios is something which ESME is good at, but before
adding functionality, we have to think it through, so that it doesn't
jeopardize stability and increase complexity unnecessarily.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool.
>
> I'll try it out tomorrow.
>
> I already created such an infinite loop when I was working on the
> akibot integration. Had to deactivate the action before it flooded the
> systems with messages.
>
> D,
>
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Ethan Jewett <esjewett@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've posted a diff to this issue
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-143) that does what is
>> requested. Please keep in mind that this can pretty easily result in
>> an infinite loop of messages, if you are (for example) using an action
>> to post all of your messages to a third-party service.
>>
>> Ethan
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm been thinking about this integration and I think we need some way
>>> to publish the information that is return from a HTTP post action. For
>>> example, posting to 12sprints leads to a response that contains the
>>> activity ID. Without surfacing this ID, it is impossible to get the ID
>>> except by going directly to 12Sprints.
>>>
>>> To deal with this issue, I think it would useful for the HTTP Post
>>> Action to post a message with the result.
>>>
>>> I've created a JIRA item to deal with this:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ESME-143

Post

It is