esme-dev mailing list archives

From Marcelo Pham <marc...@akibot.com>
Subject UI widgets for ESME
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:13:58 GMT
Hi there,

I had a chat with Dick and he thought it would be good to share this
idea we had for Akibot with the ESME community:

General concept

1. The idea is to include a "widget" area to ESME front end. These
widgets would be plug & play components that help users from a same
group or department to see real time info, such as financials,
inventory maps, sales, etc. etc.
In brief, we would be marrying business intelligence (widgets showing
relevant, summarized information in real time) with social media
(microblog), this would give the whole group a sense of total business
awareness (they would know exactly what's going on, what employees are
chatting about, issues (microblog), what's the most named item, the
most mentioned customer (tags), figures for sales, inventory (widgets))

2. For example, the executive and sales groups would have a widget in
their microblog that would show real time information for today's and
YTD orders:

This widget would read data from the SD module and inform everybody
how sales are doing.

3. We would start with widgets that read from SAP modules (SD, FI, MM,
etc.) and maybe after we could extend it to other ERP's (JD Edwards,
Mas500, Navision, etc) or other groupware apps (Salesforce, Exchange,
etc.)

Details

4. If ESME can be skinnable (meaning to allow users to change around
the HTML of the front end) these widgets could be embeddable in the
form of an object, like:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://widget.esme.us/?v=1.0

" width="200" height="400" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="widget1.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    <param name="feed_username" value="username" />
    <param name="feed_password" value="12345abcd" />
    <param name="feed_url" value="http://10.1.1.10/SAPFeed/" />
     <embed src="widget1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff"
width="200" height="400" name="foo" align="middle"
allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>
Or something like this but using JS.

5. Widgets would be available to download from common open
repositories such as ESME website, Google code, etc. A widget would be
composed by a Flash or JS file to download, and a sample code to embed
into the HTML front end with instructions on how to customize it. We
will contribute with all the widgets we do and also help develop
widgets made by other members.

6. Since these will be all behind-the-firewall installations, there
should not be many security issues, although we would include a
username/password to authenticate to the SAP feed

Open for discussion

7. Embeddable code / format: we haven't decided what formats will be
the best (JS, Flash, both...)

8. Connection / authentication: how to connect to the SAP feed and how
to authenticate to it

9. Widget permissions: how to allow/hide widgets for different groups
(for example the sales widget should not be shown to the purchasing
group, etc.)

What do you guys think?

Good night,

Marcelo Pham