esme-dev mailing list archives

From "dhague@fortybeans.com" <dha...@fortybeans.com>
Subject Re: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:14:36 GMT

On 07 December 2009 at 11:51 Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabellino@sourcesense.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> a couple of additional thoughts from the mentor peanut gallery:
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Bechauf, Michael
> <michael.bechauf@sap.com> wrote:
> > As far as participation of SAP employees in ESME are concerned, you know
> > what to do. I am under the impression that under currect conditions no SAP
> > employee is authorized to sign an individual contributor agreement.
>
> You understand this means that SAP cannot have committers in the
> project? CCLAs are fine and required in case individuals contribute
> corporate IP, but we will still need the ICLA from the specific
> individual to grant commit access (see
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas).

As a point of information, I am an SAP employee and I have signed an individual
contributor agreement. At the time I joined SAP, I noted that my contract stated
that anything I created would be under SAP's copyright *with the exception of
projects done in my own time, that did not compete with an SAP offering, and
where I had a director's sign-off*. As such, I simply got my local VP to sign
off on my participation in ESME before I signed the ICLA.

Note that this only covers my participation in my own time, as a private
individual. We did have some issues earlier in the project with some SAP
employees who had contributed on company time, and their contributions were
removed from the project before we joined Apache. Anything I were to do on
company time for ESME would have to be specifically approved through the normal
open-source contribution channels at SAP.

Cheers,
Darren