esme-dev mailing list archives

From Ethan Jewett <esjew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UI widgets for ESME
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:09:49 GMT
That looks very interesting and I think it's a great idea. A couple comments
(sorry, it's been a busy week, so this is a bit off-the-cuff):

1. I'd like to echo Daniel's suggestion to pursue an existing widget
container/standard if we do this. To offer another option: Shindig is a
pretty mature implementation of the OpenSocial widget container standard.
(Oh, and it's an Apache project - http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/ ;-)

2. I wonder if we might want to consider embedding *ESME* into a widget
platform (via the APIs) rather than embedding *widgets* into ESME. My
impression is that this might be a lot easier and may more closely align
with how ESME will be deployed (in the Enterprise) with a UI wrapper.

3. I'm skittish about putting code into ESME that interfaces with SAP
modules. My understanding of SAP's IP position is that code that interfaces
with SAP Enterprise Services contains SAP IP and cannot be licensed under an
Apache 2.0 license (or at least SAP reserves the right to spread FUD on the
topic). I'm not comfortable working on code that does this or committing it
to an Apache project until SAP clarifies its position publicly and
unequivocally. Because of this, I think we can provide a framework and
examples, but I think we should think twice before providing an actual
widget that interfaces with SAP as part of the distribution.

Ethan

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Marcelo Pham <marcelo@akibot.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I had a chat with Dick and he thought it would be good to share this idea
> we had for Akibot with the ESME community:
>
> *General concept*
>
> 1. The idea is to include a "widget" area to ESME front end. These widgets
> would be plug & play components that help users from a same group or
> department to see real time info, such as financials, inventory maps, sales,
> etc. etc.
> In brief, we would be marrying business intelligence (widgets showing
> relevant, summarized information in real time) with social media
> (microblog), this would give the whole group a sense of total business
> awareness (they would know exactly what's going on, what employees are
> chatting about, issues (microblog), what's the most named item, the most
> mentioned customer (tags), figures for sales, inventory (widgets))
>
> 2. For example, the executive and sales groups would have a widget in their
> microblog that would show real time information for today's and YTD orders:
>

> This widget would read data from the SD module and inform everybody how
> sales are doing.
>
> 3. We would start with widgets that read from SAP modules (SD, FI, MM,
> etc.) and maybe after we could extend it to other ERP's (JD Edwards, Mas500,
> Navision, etc) or other groupware apps (Salesforce, Exchange, etc.)
>
> *Details*
>
> 4. If ESME can be skinnable (meaning to allow users to change around the
> HTML of the front end) these widgets could be embeddable in the form of an
> object, like:
>
> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://widget.esme.us/?v=1.0"
width="200" height="400" align="middle">
>    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
>    <param name="movie" value="widget1.swf" />
>    <param name="quality" value="high" />
>    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
>
>    <param name="feed_username" value="username" />
>
>    <param name="feed_password" value="12345abcd" />
>
>    <param name="feed_url" value="http://10.1.1.10/SAPFeed/" />
>
>     <embed src="widget1.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="200" height="400"
name="foo" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />