esme-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: SAP Services in ESME (was: UI widgets for ESME)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:51:36 GMT
Folks,

a couple of additional thoughts from the mentor peanut gallery:

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Bechauf, Michael
<michael.bechauf@sap.com> wrote:
> no question, there are ways to technically solve this easily. I guess the question is
what the overall business model for ESME is supposed to be. As a Twitter clone, I think we
all agree that there is a pretty shaky value proposition. It may be a good scalable behind-firewall
Twitter, but without integration of some sort to enterprise systems, to receive events and
trigger processes, it may not be not enough.

I believe this thread is underestimating the role of Apache (and its
license) as an "universal donor" (to use Sam Ruby's analogy): our
license is designed precisely to enable such integrations and
extensions, as we don't pose any additional encumbrance on top of fair
recognition and naming/trademark consistency. Anyone will be able to
build such extensions, and license them as appropriate. The downside
of it is that Apache cannot be a "universal receiver", so the amount
of actual integrations we can host is limited. But we can most
definitely advertise external efforts. Or document extensively how it
is done.

In short, when in Apache, you should think about building the best
possible sockets and let others worry about the plugs. As long as ESME
has a decent integration API, you should be all set.

> As far as participation of SAP employees in ESME are concerned, you know what to do.
I am under the impression that under currect conditions no SAP employee is authorized to sign
an individual contributor agreement.

You understand this means that SAP cannot have committers in the
project? CCLAs are fine and required in case individuals contribute
corporate IP, but we will still need the ICLA from the specific
individual to grant commit access (see
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas).

--
Gianugo Rabellino