esme-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Just added API2 Java client to SVN
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:46:38 GMT
On Sun December 6 2009 7:11:13 pm Ethan Jewett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I'm a huge fan of having API client libraries galore, I don't
> think it's a very good idea to maintain them in the actual ESME
> repository. There are several reasons for this:
>
> 1. Most client library authors will not be commiters, creating an
> unnecessary bottle-neck around library checkins.

Umm.....  Why wouldn't they be committers?

With my mentor hat on, this statement kind of concerns me.  One of the goals
of the project in the incubator is to broaden the appeal of the product and
broaden the committer base.   Statements like the above seem relatively
exclusive.

Why SHOULDN'T clients pertaining to ESME not be part of ESME.    I would think
that interacting with ESME is pretty important.   Getting client developers on
board with the project is probably a good thing.  It can get more people using
ESME and thus new ideas and such.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp