esme-dev mailing list archives

From "Bechauf, Michael" <michael.bech...@sap.com>
Subject RE: UI widgets for ESME
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:23:33 GMT
There is no FUD about it; I think we've been quite transparent (or so I
hope) about our IP positions.

SAP Enterprise Services need to be licensed, and there are a number of
provisions in those licenses that would restrict the free distribution
of code. Currently, there is no standalone license for SAP Enterprise
Services, but you only get them with SAP customer agreements, SAP
partner agreements, SAP NetWeaver developer subscriptions or the free
SAP NetWeaver Developer License. You can check out the license agreement
here
<http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/shop/developmentpack?rid=/webcontent/uui
d/d07ab93b-1d0e-2b10-ed9e-8d35d34a2fed&refer=subscriptionsssrl> .

If you put SAP Enterprise Services into Apache code, a developer may
create a derivative work that is incompatible with the SAP Enterprise
Service license. For exampe, if they create commercial products (i.e.
for sale), they have to buy a license from SAP. I talked to Geir
Magnusson about it, and his opinion (and I don't think you need a lawyer
to confirm this) was that this was incompatible with the Apache license.

So, in other words, Ethan is right. I would not put code that contains
SAP Enterprise Services into the Apache distribution. If you want to
work together on a widget that contains SAP code, you can do this on the
SAP Forge called SDN Code Exchange
<http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/16455> . In other
words, you can safely develop a widget framework in Apache, but for the
concrete widget instance that interfaces with SAP, I would not put it
into Apache.

Best,
Michael