esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: We are down to 4.6 Mbyte
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:01:44 GMT
Vassil,

There are features in the textile parser that I would like to see in ESME.
The "lineElem" combinator is:

    /**
     * Line elements make up paragraphs and block elements
     */
    lazy val lineElem : Parser[Textile] = {
      not(blankLine) ~> (endOfLine | image | footnote_def |
                         anchor | dimension | elipsis  |
                         copyright | trademark | registered |
                         emDash |
                         enDash | italic | emph | bold  |
                         cite |  span | code | delete | insert |
                         sup | sub | strong | html |
                         single_quote | quote | acronym | charBlock)

Of these elements, I would exclude image, footnote_def, and anchor.  The
other elements I see as valuable in a lot of different communications
contexts.

Thanks,

David

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:

> > I forgot to mention that we are still better than before.
> > I think with the textile formatter, we would be still at 90Mbyte,
> wouldn't
> > we?
>
> If we used the textile formatter now, it would still be cached and
> only invoked once per message, not once for every logged in user every
> time a new message is received :) it would still be orders of
> magnitude more efficient.
>
> Still, I will keep the Textile formatter out for now. I find it hard
> to reuse its combinators, because I want to specify ESME-specific
> conditions in the evaluation (e.g. strong text, but one which does not
> include a valid hashtag or username inside). Using the alternative-
> invoking the Textile parser on each text element parsed already by our
> MsgParser has its problems, too- everything between tags, urls and
> usernames is separated in new paragraphs and I have to massage the
> result additionally to flatten the output.
>
> If the details don't make sense to you, the takeaway point is that
> I've removed the Textile parser because it complicates things, not
> because of memory consumption.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics