esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We are down to 4.6 Mbyte
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:58:16 GMT
> I forgot to mention that we are still better than before.
> I think with the textile formatter, we would be still at 90Mbyte, wouldn't
> we?

If we used the textile formatter now, it would still be cached and
only invoked once per message, not once for every logged in user every
time a new message is received :) it would still be orders of
magnitude more efficient.

Still, I will keep the Textile formatter out for now. I find it hard
to reuse its combinators, because I want to specify ESME-specific
conditions in the evaluation (e.g. strong text, but one which does not
include a valid hashtag or username inside). Using the alternative-
invoking the Textile parser on each text element parsed already by our
MsgParser has its problems, too- everything between tags, urls and
usernames is separated in new paragraphs and I have to massage the
result additionally to flatten the output.

If the details don't make sense to you, the takeaway point is that
I've removed the Textile parser because it complicates things, not
because of memory consumption.