esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch submitted, working towards API design
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:05:45 GMT
> I understand that it would be nice to show  Scala advantages, but if real
> time messages, such as in a chat are not the first goal, I would rather
> concentrate on supporting pagination. Just my humble opinion of course.

I've also said before that pagination is great to have, but "real time
messages, such as in a chat" are not a goal, they exist in ESME right
now, and ESME design revolves around that.

> Oh and BTW properly (performance) testing Comet based applications turned
> out to be an up hill battle. I'm still convinced that I can deliver
> something, but it will take more time. The issue is that "standard" load
> testing tools such as Loadrunner or JMeter are based on the assumption that
> you just want to replay short HTTP requests. That approach doesn't really
> work with Comet based apps because they hold a connection open.

True. That's one excuse we don't have that many tests. I'd like to
think it's the major one, but unfortunately it's not.