esme-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Kohler <markus.koh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Patch submitted, working towards API design
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:58:56 GMT
Hi Vassil,
Sorry, it was not clear to me that  real time is a key differentiator for
ESME, and it's already build around it.
I'm just saying, that you shouldn't expect that this scales easily to
thousands of users( maybe it doesn't need to) without special Web container
support. That might not even be a problem AFAIK besides Jetty, Tomcat has it
and Glassfish 3 probably has it as well.

>From the REST API point of view I don't think there's much to do, other than
appending something to the URL that indicates that connection needs to be
 kept open for COMET style communication.

One point that the REST API probably needs to support is a way for not
always connected clients to "sync" only new messages.

Googles gdata does this with etags:
http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/reference.html#ResourceVersioning,
which make sense to me, at least at a first glance.
<http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/reference.html#ResourceVersioning>

Regards,
Markus