esme-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An interesting (and correct IMHO) review of Wave
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:31:21 GMT
On Thu 15 Oct 2009 11:18, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
> I read this:
> http://scobleizer.com/2009/10/03/google-waves-unproductive-email-metaphors/
>
> I think it's exactly right.

I don't agree with Scoble on this one.

His criticisms of both email and wave are very valid, but his dismissal
is rather shortsighted.  Wave is barely even worthy of an 'alpha' label,
let alone a 'beta'.  Several of his concerns (deleting waves, BCC,
social networking, etc.) are features planned but not yet implemented.
If he's looking for a finished product, then he's simply looking for the
wrong thing at this time.  Otherwise, "patches welcome, Scoble."

Furthermore, Wave and Twitter are very different beasts.  I wouldn't
compare them at all.  I think this comparison is much better:

  http://danieltenner.com/posts/0012-google-wave.html

Wave solves problems for teams working together, particularly in-house
document sharing.  It has _a_lot_ of missing features, but with the work
being done on it, I expect a fair bit of improvement over the next year
or two.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁