esme-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX code and scala-stats
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 04:13:48 GMT
@Andy - you've got to attach the patch to Jira item. For some reasons,
attachments always disappear in mails sent to this list and I need IP
clearance before I can use the code.

>>This also would remove a dependency and two maven repositories, which is always a
good thing in my opinion.
I agree

>>2. The java agent I used to enable connecting remotely is from sun, which I believe
has license issues
What sort of issues?

>>It also works over HTTP which is probably not the protocol we want. I usually use
RMI, but the HTTP agent is really easy to set up for the proof of concept.

HTTP is probably better in the Stax environment, because I don't know
if Stax allows direct RMI access.  Is there some sort of authorization
necessary to access the data? Once it is up and running, we could
publish the URL and let people take a look at it. However, I think you
are right about using other protocols. I don't know whether existing
JMX tools can also use HTTP.

You may want to look at your patch to see if it is still valid. David
did a major commit last night (dealing with Lift actors)  and you
might have to change things a bit on your side.

D.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Andy the destroyer
<andythedestroyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay.. I have a version with stats and jmx code you can deploy on stax.
> Attached is a patch file with the changes. The code is really more of a
> proof of concept for collecting stats than the final solution. I would like
> to get some feedback if this is in the right direction or if I am way off
> base.
> Stats are collected through the Stats object via counters and gauges. Timers
> are available but I didn't use any. A counter is created any time you use
> one that doesn't exist.
> Stats incr "myCounter"
> and
> Stats getCounter("myOtherCounter") incr
> both will increase myCounter and myOtherCounter by 1 or create counters for
> them and set the initial value to 1.
> Gauges are methods that get called when you request stats. I created two
> calling two methods I added to the Distributor object: getUsersCount and
> getListenersCount. The gauges can be found in Boot.scala.
> You can connect to the MBean on localhost with jconsole. You can connect
> remotely or locally with a web browser on port 9092.
> Here are my thoughts on a few issues:
> 1. The scala-stats lib from twitter is actually pretty inflexible and I did
> some ugly things to use it. It also requires Java 6. If this method of
> collecting stats seems okay to everyone, I would actually just write our own
> stats code borrowing the parts scala-stats got right. This also would remove
> a dependency and two maven repositories, which is always a good thing in my
> opinion.
> 2. The java agent I used to enable connecting remotely is from sun, which I
> believe has license issues. It also works over HTTP which is probably not
> the protocol we want. I usually use RMI, but the HTTP agent is really easy
> to set up for the proof of concept. I will write the appropriate agent when
> the protocol is decided on.
> Let me know how off base I am,
> Andy
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> cool.
>>
>> D.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Andy the destroyer
>> <andythedestroyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Friday I worked on it but realized that I would need to make some
>> > changes to
>> > the JMX part of the code and it was not going to be quite as easy as I
>> > thought. I had mid terms this weekend and didn't have a chance to work
>> > on
>> > it. I have a free night tonight and should be able to get most if not
>> > all of
>> > it done. I will email tomorrow with an update.
>> >
>> > -Andy

I guess I

I haven't

Hirsch <