esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deleting user from access pool
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 07:58:32 GMT
There are counterexamples- when you send out an email, it's in the
inbox of the people you have sent it to and you cannot delete it. When
you send a message in an instant messaging client, you cannot get it
back. In the context of JIRA, the item can still change after
permission is denied to you, while the message cannot be reedited in
ESME.

I'm with Dick here. The performance problem is that the stream of
messages is updated in near real-time and any deleted messages will
cause a cascade of changes across the inboxes of all users who have
linked this message.

I think we discussed deleting messages before, not in the context of
this pool, and David strongly favored the opinion that messages should
be immutable- once they're sent, that's it. Deleting messages also
poses security/consistency issues with possible federation scenarios,
which David intended to implement.

There are many many other inconsistency issues which could arise if we
start deleting messages. Take for example, resending. If a resent
message is deleted, do you delete it from the inboxes of all your
followers? And if it's a popular resent message, do you delete it from
the stats actor? Do you reevaluate all the statistics for resent
messages then? What if the message contains tags, do you reevaluate
the tag cloud? What if it contains links, which are in the popular
links stats? What if the message is part of a conversation, do you
delete the whole conversation?

So in the end, the immutability of messages and timelines is already
deeply ingrained in the ESME architecture and is not subject to
change- even if we decide that it's wise to do so, which I think it's
not. It's far from a trivial change.

Vassil