esme-dev mailing list archives

From Andy the destroyer <andythedestro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JMX code and scala-stats
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:50:30 GMT
Okay.. I have a version with stats and jmx code you can deploy on stax.
Attached is a patch file with the changes. The code is really more of a
proof of concept for collecting stats than the final solution. I would like
to get some feedback if this is in the right direction or if I am way off
base.

Stats are collected through the Stats object via counters and gauges. Timers
are available but I didn't use any. A counter is created any time you use
one that doesn't exist.

Stats incr "myCounter"
and
Stats getCounter("myOtherCounter") incr

both will increase myCounter and myOtherCounter by 1 or create counters for
them and set the initial value to 1.

Gauges are methods that get called when you request stats. I created two
calling two methods I added to the Distributor object: getUsersCount and
getListenersCount. The gauges can be found in Boot.scala.

You can connect to the MBean on localhost with jconsole. You can connect
remotely or locally with a web browser on port 9092.

Here are my thoughts on a few issues:

1. The scala-stats lib from twitter is actually pretty inflexible and I did
some ugly things to use it. It also requires Java 6. If this method of
collecting stats seems okay to everyone, I would actually just write our own
stats code borrowing the parts scala-stats got right. This also would remove
a dependency and two maven repositories, which is always a good thing in my
opinion.

2. The java agent I used to enable connecting remotely is from sun, which I
believe has license issues. It also works over HTTP which is probably not
the protocol we want. I usually use RMI, but the HTTP agent is really easy
to set up for the proof of concept. I will write the appropriate agent when
the protocol is decided on.

Let me know how off base I am,
Andy

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> cool.
>
> D.
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Andy the destroyer
> <andythedestroyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Friday I worked on it but realized that I would need to make some changes
> > the JMX part of the code and it was not going to be quite as easy as I
> > thought. I had mid terms this weekend and didn't have a chance to work on
> > it. I have a free night tonight and should be able to get most if not all
> of
> > it done. I will email tomorrow with an update.
> >
> > -Andy
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> @Andy: any chance you'll get around to the code this week? I'll be at
> >> the TechEd the entire next week and probably won't be able to do a
> >> deployment.
> >>
> >> D.

> hirsch.dick@gmail.com

> acct?