esme-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch question
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:45:41 GMT
On Mon September 28 2009 7:42:35 am Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > If a patch or code was committed to Jira and was licensed for
> > inclusion, can I commit it after testing to make sure that it works?
>
> Yes, from the ASF's point of view that's fine.
>
> Personally I add thanks to the author in the commit message when doing
>  that.

+1 to both.   Generally, the commit message format I use is something like

[ESME-1234] Fix problem with Foo doing blah
Patch from John Smith applied

or similar.   This allows the commit to be tracked in the Subversion page in
Jira as well as allow something like a "svn log | grep Smith"  or similar to
see how many patches they've submitted.   That latter point is kind of good
when trying to judge if they are ready to be committer or not.

> Note that if someone makes regular and/or substantial contributations
> (limits of which are fuzzy), asking them to submit an iCLA is
> recommended.

Partially cause if they are making regular and /or substantial contributions,
they are probably well on their way to becoming a committer.   Having an iCLA
on file is required to create a committer account so having them file one
earlier can speed up that process.   :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org