esme-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome Dick Hirsch as an ESME committer!
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:53:36 GMT
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Erik Engbrecht<erik.engbrecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...Betrand,
>  A minor point of curiosity...how many other Apache committers are they who
> aren't coders?  I think this is a good thing, and I'm wondering if it's
> something new...

It's not new, though the vast majority of committers are coders.

In (the good old) Cocoon times we had at least two (out of about 40
committers), typically CTO/consultant types who would evangelize and
promote the project without being deeply involved in technical
details. The httpd project has also a number of committers who "only"
write docs, AFAIK. I don't know about other projects but those are
probably typical.

I agree that it's a good thing to include non-coding people in the
committers roster when appropriate - it's more about "committment"
than "committing code" in such cases.

-Bertrand