esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME at GitHub (was: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:29:07 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:00 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Yes. This concerns ESME unot Lift.
>>
>> What I don't quite understand is the problem -  "git vs apache svn" or
>> "github vs apache svn"?
>>
>> I also don't know why we can't use the git instructions described at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache.
>>
>> Maybe someone can enlighten me.
>

> Dick,
>
> I'll put this information together in a longer post that addresses the
> multiple issues raised by this thread...

As I've been composing a more complete answer that addresses the various
concerns address in this thread (Why is Git different from SVN?  What are
the IP ramifications?  What are the community ramifications? How can we work
to optimize collaboration on open source (or why is social messaging
different from email)?), I've come to the conclusion that (1) it's a bad
thing to try to propose new concepts/practices/process to the ASF and (2)
the ASF's IP policies do not afford the kind of protection that I need in a
core project that I would build a business off.  I will be glad to share my
reasoning about these conclusions off-list... I don't want this to turn into
another flamewar.

I think the best course of action is to ignore my turtles proposal... I'll
focus efforts on the existing ESME code and we can take steps forward (as
opposed to a giant leap) based on what we have now.

Thanks and sorry for the digression.

David