esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME at GitHub (was: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:00:51 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Richard Hirsch <hirsch.dick@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes. This concerns ESME unot Lift.
>
> What I don't quite understand is the problem -  "git vs apache svn" or
> "github vs apache svn"?
>
> I also don't know why we can't use the git instructions described at
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache.
>
> Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Dick,

I'll put this information together in a longer post that addresses the
multiple issues raised by this thread... but...

The document that you linked to discusses how to use Git as a front end to
SVN.  But, the limitations of SVN remain and there are none of the
collaborative benefits of Git with this mechanism.

So... what are the collaborative benefits of Git?  Git allows for very fast
branching (this is different than repository forking and pulling from other
forks... I am not advocating that and do not pull from other repositories...
but that's a digression.)  What does fast branching give a development team?

Fast branching (and amazingly simple and flexible merging) lets developers
explore.  A developer (or two) can create a branch to explore a new feature
or a new implementation.  The cost of branching is zero (it happens
instantly).  The cost of switching branches is very low (switching branches
in Lift takes < 5 seconds).  Keeping branches up to date with the place they
were branched from is very simple (rebasing is just like doing an SVN
update).

Over the history of Lift, there have been more than 30 branches checked into
origin (the GitHub shared repository).  Personally, I've created a dozen
local branches in my local repository to explore an idea.  Sometimes I
"cherry pick" my changes (only take a subset of the changes) back into
master.

The kind of exploration and resulting creativity that this mode of
development was incomprehensible to me before I started using Git.  But, as
a matter of development, especially of new stuff, having 10, 20, more
branches and switching between them as one switches between thoughts is like
the difference between faxing and email.  It's hard to describe the
difference, but once you experience both, you wonder how people ever did it
"the old way."

We've had one branch in all of ESME.  That is a shame.

So, if we use SVN as our central repository, no matter the front end (Git,
svn, TortoiseSVN, etc.) we're still limited by SVN's weak and costly
branching/merging and tagging.

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp