esme-dev mailing list archives

From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:27:29 GMT
On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:

> > Darren,
> > I fully agree with you.  I have no plans to make ESME harder to use.  At
> its
> > core, it's a micro-messaging system.  On the other hand, I do want to
> make
> > it easier for people who are not Scala developers with access to the ESME
> > source code to build applications on top of ESME.  I view this class of
> user
> > as similar to "Excel power users."  But Excel power users often
> distribute
> > spreadsheets to their co-workers that allow the non-power-users to get
> > something new done.
>
> If it's too complicated, there could be a plugin/version "extra
> actions" the way there are separate formula packages for Excel.

Yeah... there has to be layered template libraries available to the power
users.  This is part of the business model that I'm thinking about...
basically... an eco-system (marketplace, app store) for composable elements.

> For complex tasks like this, tooling matters. It should be easy to
> compose/debug.

Yes.  I've been thinking about "play this range of updates" or "single-step
this range of updates" so you can see what would happen if you applied
certain transformations/accumulations.

> ESME has some similarities to Yahoo!Pipes- both reroute
> and transform pieces of text, but in a different context. However,
> Yahoo!Pipes makes it easy to assemble components graphically like Lego
> pieces, thereby ensuring that inappropriate pieces don't fit together.

Yep.  Yahoo! Pipes is a great visual builder... but it also feels very
"push" rather than "reach into the ether and find what I'm looking for."

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp