esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:15:10 GMT
> Actually, I think this is an extension to microblogging.
>
> If I microblog:
>
> tcw: dickh re: #ESME standup time: 30min
> todo: add different authentication to #ESME
> working on: #ESME authentication
> done: #esme authentication
>
> over the course of a day, those updates are meaningful to humans, but can
> also be parsed and used to update structured data.

In fact, the idea is not new. Take a look at twitterdata.org :
"...simple, open, semi-structured format for embedding
machine-readable, yet human-friendly, data in Twitter messages...".
That totally defines what we want to do with actions.

Granted, you won't see as much interest in processing messages on
Twitter as in a corporate environment, but @rtm, @timer and
@iwantsandy are still quite popular.

I also don't see this as something that replaces what ESME currently
is, but as a way to extend ESME. Most likely the change wouldn't even
be noticeable, like when Google introduced Calculator- there's no
change in the interface, but if you typed "2+2" or "123 in hex" or
"sin(pi/4) ^ 2", the result would get evaluated.

Vassil