esme-dev mailing list archives

From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turtles all the way down (or how I learned to love math in computing)
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:57:51 GMT
> Darren,
> I fully agree with you.  I have no plans to make ESME harder to use.  At its
> core, it's a micro-messaging system.  On the other hand, I do want to make
> it easier for people who are not Scala developers with access to the ESME
> source code to build applications on top of ESME.  I view this class of user
> as similar to "Excel power users."  But Excel power users often distribute
> spreadsheets to their co-workers that allow the non-power-users to get
> something new done.

If it's too complicated, there could be a plugin/version "extra
actions" the way there are separate formula packages for Excel.

For complex tasks like this, tooling matters. It should be easy to
compose/debug. ESME has some similarities to Yahoo!Pipes- both reroute
and transform pieces of text, but in a different context. However,
Yahoo!Pipes makes it easy to assemble components graphically like Lego
pieces, thereby ensuring that inappropriate pieces don't fit together.

Vassil